Classic elimination game that everyone can play and contribute to. Don´t miss out to check the Game Options (a few scrolls down) for another fun way of playing!
In A Great Wind Blows you call out things the players might have in common. It´s then up to the players having something in common to switch chairs with each other. However the catch being that with every round one chair is removed! Great party-starter and getting to know each other game!
You will need
- One chair per participating player.
- An area large enough to hold all the chairs in a circle.
Minimal preparations for this one. All you have to do is arrange the chairs (one per player) in a circle. All the chairs should be facing the middle of the circle (inwards).
How to play A Great Wind Blows
- Start off by having the players sit down on a chair each (all facing the middle of the circle).
- Now say something that several of the kids could possibly have in common. Start the sentence with “A great wind blows for everyone…“. One complete sentence could for example be “A great wind blows for everyone who is wearing white shirts!“.
- Now every child that is wearing a white shirt must stand up and switch chairs with someone else also standing up. They are not allowed to switch with the person right next to them.
- Repeat this a couple of times to get the kids understanding the concept.
- For the actual game keep doing the same thing (call out “A great wind blows for everyone…“) but as soon as the kids stand up you remove one of the empty chairs.
- This way with every round one player (left standing) will be eliminated.
- The players that gets eliminated steps out of the circle and help coming up with things to call out to the remaining players.
- The winner of the game is the last person still sitting on a chair when there are no other players left!
This game can be played in a couple of different ways. One popular version is starting the game out with one chair short and a player standing in the middle of the circle. This player then calls out “A great wind blows for everyone who…“. When all the players gets up to switch chairs the player standing grabs one of the chairs.
This way the player standing in the middle gets switched out all the time and all the players gets to do a few “A great wind blows for everyone who…“. This is a great version of the game for getting to know each other.
A Great Wind Blows – For those without imagination
The “A great wind blows for everyone who…” statements could involve pretty much anything. But if you run out of imagination you can use any of these to get you going!
- A great wind blows for everyone who has a dog
- A great wind blows for everyone who has been inside in the last hour
- A great wind blows for everyone who has a big brother
- A great wind blows for everyone who has ever been to New York
- A great wind blows for everyone who has ever used an iPhone
- A great wind blows for everyone who likes to dance
- A great wind blows for everyone who dosen´t like Harry Potter